The filler is an injectable substance in the dermis or subcutaneous tissue to correct skin imperfections, touch up facial imperfections such as wrinkles or scars, and restore lost volumes. An effective solution to correct wrinkles and other imperfections typical of aging.
What is a Filler?
Fillers (from English to fill, to fill) are a class of biocompatible substances with a gelatinous or semi-solid consistency, with no pharmacological effects and easy to extrude from a fine needle which, injected into the dermis or hypodermis, are used to eliminate or attenuate wrinkles, furrows such as those that form between the nose and mouth (nasogenic) or between the mouth and chin (puppet wrinkles) or to increase and restore the volumes of certain areas of the face such as cheekbones, lips, cheeks or depressions that they appear along with the mandibular profile with advancing age.
It follows an immediate and evident rejuvenation much appreciated by patients and which makes it one of the most used substances in Aesthetic Medicine.
Our offices use certified, high-quality fillers based on hyaluronic acid and calcium hydroxyapatite.
Hyaluronic acid is certainly the most used substance among fillers as it is a polysaccharide present in all human tissues, free from allergic reactions and completely re-absorbable within 5-6 months.
Hydroxyapatite is a bio-restructuring filler, 100% biocompatible and resorbable made up of calcium hydroxyapatite microspheres suspended in an aqueous gel solution. Its porous structure gives hydroxyapatite unique characteristics, in fact, the fibroblasts synthesize new collagen fibers inside it, real tissue colonization that helps to increase the corrective capacity and permanence in the tissues giving greater volume and smoother skin. Due to these characteristics, hydroxyapatite is also considered a bio stimulant.
How is the Treatment Performed?
The lip filler and face filler treatment are performed in a few minutes and through the use of small needles or with the use of small atraumatic cannulas. It is performed without local anesthesia or after applying anesthetic ointment for the most sensitive areas.
How Long Does the Effect of Fillers Last?
The correction performed with the filler is immediately visible. The effect of the lip filler and face filler can last from 5-6 to 10-12 months depending on the area treated. The substance used and some individual variables such as the activity of the hyaluronidase enzyme responsible for the degradation of the hyaluronic acid and which can vary from person to person.
The treatment can be performed in the vast majority of cases and always subject to an accurate medical history and objective evaluation of the imperfection to be treated by the aesthetic doctor.
However, there are cases that contraindicate the use of fillers, namely:
- Patients with multiple and severe allergies;
- Patients with autoimmune diseases;
- The patients on antiplatelet or anticoagulant therapy due to the increased risk of hematomas;
- If there are signs of infection in the areas to be treated
- In pregnancy, lactation and in subjects under the age of 18.
What Precautions Should Be Followed After Filler Implantation?
The precautions to be followed are common to all fillers:
- Do not expose yourself to direct sun and protect yourself with an adequate screen. At least, in the first week to avoid the aggravation of inflammatory reactions, where they are present, and to reduce the risk of stain formation.
- Avoid solarium, saunas, direct heat sources, intense physical activity and alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours
- Do not massage the area. Do not lean on the treated area and do not apply makeup for the next 24 hours.