Who is an Interior Designer?
Interior Designer is a professional who uses art and science to enhance interiors of the building-both residential as well as commercial, using innovative design concepts to achieve not only efficient and functional use of spaces but also more aesthetically spectacular and unforgettable experience for the customer through the use of colours, lighting, furnishings as well as varied other decorations.
The Interior designer understands the client requirement and basis the ensuing trends as well as the social-cultural trends and the budget works to not only make architectural improvements but also transform interiors into stylish and visually appealing spaces
Qualities required being an interior designer
- Creative Skills
- Passion to learn new things
- Planning & Coordination
- Effective communication & Networking skills
- Problem-solving approach with Decision-making capability
- Dexterity in use of computers
Steps to become a successful Interior Designer:
Trial by fire only refines gold. In order to be a successful interior designer, you will need to undergo a tough journey, face challenges, and will need extra zeal, passion as well as patience, and hard work to make a mark in this field. Following are the steps:
- Successful designers must identify the niche for which they want to be known for:
- Working with the green environment including plants, eco-friendly products as well as materials along with the use of sustainable practices.
- Working in hospitality sectors.
- Managing building premises.
- Working in residential projects like people’s residences.
- Handling Health Care premises.
- Work for corporate and commercial houses.
- Managing retail as well as shopping centers
- You need to undergo a four-year Interior Design course to seek a diploma from a recognized Interior Design institute. This will not only give you a holistic perspective but also help in building competencies in managing complex design challenges in the constantly evolving ecosystem. It will offer an insight into Interior Design Fundamentals, Ergonomics, Design Principles, Materials, and their Application, Human Comfort, Colour Theory, Space Planning with Aesthetics and Representation Tools, etc.
- You must keep up to date with the ensuing modern trends, techniques, materials along best practices. In order to be relevant, you must have the pulse of the market and do continuous research. You must be able to predict trends and should be versatile enough to take inspirations from nature as well as surroundings to come up with unique concepts that will position you in a separate league.
- Explore colour and lighting: A successful interior designer is adept at the use of colours as well as lighting. You should know the effects, the combination of both will have not only on the mood but also in enhancing the look of the spaces.
- You should be proficient in the use of technology as well as 2D & 3D softwares. This will help you to present the concepts to the client in such a manner that they can visualize your innovative plans that much more clearly.
- You must be good at networking so as to not only interact with various designers in order to understand their perspective but also network with clients as well as stakeholders for better business and growth.
Thus for a successful career, you need to be diligent in your work and take no shortcuts. So come on and join a lucrative career for a successful life.