Cloud computing security or simply cloud security is considered as an evolving sub domain composed of computer security, information security, and network security. This also refers to an extensive set of policies, controls, and technologies that are deployed to protect applications, data, and any associated infrastructure of cloud services. Most of the data entry and data processing businesses that are technology driven have shifted the offline tasks to cloud computing for a more streamlined work process. Cloud computing during this segment enables time-saving while creating a platform for sharing data with as many individuals as you would like to.
Security Concerns of the Service Provider and the Clients
There are several security concerns that are associated with cloud computing. However, the issues would fall into two categories, which are the security concerns of the cloud providers and the security concerns of the clients. The cloud providers are those organizations that are providing the software, platform, or infrastructure services in a cloud base.
In many cases, the provider should ensure that the infrastructure that they provide is secure and their client’s data as well as applications are always protected. On the other hand, the clients must also ensure that the service provider has actually taken the appropriate security measures intended to protect their information.
Top Threats to Cloud Computing Security
Here is a list of the specific threats that are associated with cloud computing security:
• Data Breaches. This is the first threat that can affect cloud security. This can happen when a cloud service database is not designed correctly. A single flaw found in a client’s application can allow any malicious hacker to get the client’s data. Additionally, when the service database caters to several clients, the hacker will also be able to get the data of the other clients. The challenge of addressing this threat would fall on the measures that place in to mitigate the issue can actually exacerbate the other. One measure would be to encrypt the data, but if you lose the encryption key, the data may be lost. On the other hand, if you keep a backup of the data to avoid data loss, the risk for exposure to data breaches is significantly increased as well.
• Data Loss. This is another threat associated with cloud service. The client’s data can disappear without any trace. A hacker can delete the target data. In addition to this, client’s data can be lost due to calamities like flood, earthquake, and fire.
• Account Traffic Hijacking. Hackers have a tendency to gain access to the provider’s credentials. With this access, the hacker can actually eavesdrop on the provider’s activities and transactions. Moreover, the hacker may also manipulate company data, return falsified data, and possibly direct the clients to illegitimate sites.
• Insecure Interfaces as well as APIs. IT specialists rely on interfaces for the purpose of cloud provisioning, orchestration, management, and monitoring. APIs are also integral to the security as well as the availability of the general cloud services. Weak interfaces can actually expose a service provider to security concerns pertaining to integrity, confidentiality, accountability, and availability.
• Denial of Service Ranks. This is considered as another threat to cloud services. This has long been an issue on the internet. However, this has magnified now with cloud computing services. Most organizations depend on the 24/7 availability of services. With DoS outages, this can cost the service providers their clients, and this can also prove to be expensive to clients as they are typically billed based on disk space consumption and compute cycles.
• Malicious Insiders. Malicious insiders can come in the form of a current or perhaps former employee, a business partner, or a contractor who can gain access to the system, network or data intended for malicious purposes. This can become a huge problem for service providers especially when the cloud service is improperly designed.
These are only some of the various threats that are associated with cloud services. Thus, it is very important for clients to find a reliable service provider for cloud computing security. Moreover, finding smart solutions to address the threats to cloud service is definitely something that must be done. The purpose doing such is for the protection of the client as well as the service provider.